Search My Hamper

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Paying the Price of Free


So I have these 200 books readily available to read, but the curse of not knowing what to read is upon me! Is this the price of free books? Argh!

I have started reading seven or so different books, and have yet to find chemistry with at least one of them. These are prospective lovers, and I can't decide whom to bed. Oh. That doesn't sound right, does it? But...but I really take my books to bed...

First, I read Elizabeth Coatsworth's novelette "The Cat Who Went to Heaven." Didn't finish it.

Next, I tried the erotic "Fanny Hill, Memoirs of a Woman of Pleasure" by John Cleland. Failed.

Then came Colleen Mccullough's "The Thorn Birds." Couldn't get through the two boys harassing the little girl, deconstructing and synthesizing her brand new doll.

Tim Tebow's "Through My Eyes." Just went through the pictures and passed.

John Fowles' "The French Lieutenant's Woman." Next.

Salinger's "The Catcher in the Rye." Looked interesting up to the second page, but maybe next time.

Salman Rushdie's "The Satanic Verses." Yeah, I dared. But not yet.

I am tempted to read another Murakami, but that's going to be my fourth of his in a row. I'd like to avoid author fatigue.

And finally! I think I'm finding my equilibrium with Umberto Eco's "The Name of the Rose." Sana ay ikaw na nga!

(Picture from Wikipedia)

2 comments:

  1. You have to read "The Catcher in the Rye. That book killed me. I've read that, the first time, in 2 hours (couldn't get the book down). I've read it cover to cover at least 20 times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Been avoiding The Catcher in the Rye too long. Don't know why. Will read it next. Thanks for the goad. :)

    ReplyDelete