Search My Hamper

Monday, July 4, 2011

Disappointing Ending of Uncle Tom's Cabin

I finished reading "Uncle Tom's Cabin" a week ago and I have been thinking what to make of it. It is a hard candy, but candy just the same. (Not to be mistaken with today's bubble gum Bieber songs.)

Uncle Tom, the main character, dies after riding on a tide of life's high and low. And everyone else lives happily ever after having been ushered to paradise conveniently via deus ex machina.

Eva, the beautiful angel child is too good to be true even for fiction. The gold lock co-incidence with that brute Simon is way too much.

If you are to believe historians, this book inspired Rizal to write Noli and El Fili. I wonder if Rizal was turned off too by the ending. I'm so glad, Rizal ended his differently.

"Uncle Tom's Cabin" is a dark fairy tale. But not so good as Royce Dark Chocolates.

No comments:

Post a Comment