Search My Hamper

Monday, August 1, 2011

Movies: HP7PII and Facebook

I watched Harry Potter Deathly Hallows Part 2 last Tuesday afternoon when the office sent employees home due to Juaning. Come on.

There were no long lines, no whiny fans, no all-knowing fanatics, no running children, no mess, no hazards. Just a theater and a ticket seller and a ticket checker.

And the movie. Was it within my expectations of the HP final installment? Some short points.

1. Harry is better looking in this movie than in the previous ones, after Azkaban. What can I say, I'm still a girl. But an older Harry, 19 years later, could have been better looking. Come on, better men age better, look better.

2. I disagree with some reviews that this installment had too many fight scenes. What do you expect, a stream of consciousness technique?

3. A kissing scene in the midst of war? What is this? The Vancouver riot after the Canucks lost to Boston in Game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals?

4. Alan Rickman's Severus Snape was good but didn't give me goosebumps, just "Hmmm."

5. Harry's heir apparent was too timid. He was supposed to be a Weasley, too, wasn't he? And was supposed to have been raised without fear and violence by loving parents. So why? A changeling?

The winner of the 83rd Academy Awards for Best Adapted Screenplay, The Social Network, does have some witty lines. I particularly like the scene between the Harvard president Larry Summers and the Winklevoss twins.

SUMMERS: That’s just their own stupidity, I should have been there. Darkness is the absence of light and stupidity in that instance was the absence of me.

SUMMERS: Everyone at Harvard is inventing something. Harvard undergraduates believe that inventing a job is better than finding a job so I’ll suggest again that the two of you come up with a new "new project."

And more outstanding exchanges, between and among characters. Why did I not watch this in the theater? Was this movie even premiered here? Oh well.

Despite all good points, I wouldn't be surprised if traditional feminists raise hell what with the way women are depicted in this movie. I wouldn't even go there.

No comments:

Post a Comment